推介:| 英語課程 | 職業英語 | English course | English learning | Toeic | Bulats |

發新話題
打印

Please / Kindly / Please kindly

Please / Kindly / Please kindly

I heard that the word "kindly" is not quite polite/positive but I see it everywhere.  So I just want to ask to confirm.

For example, are the following sentences not so polite?
1) Please kindly submit your application ...
2) Kindly submit your application ...

In short, should we avoid using "kindly" if we want to be polite? ( A "please" alone is enough )

For my writing habbit, I like using both words for formal occasions. They both are considered as polite too!

引用:
原帖由 princess_f 於 2007-10-31 00:10 發表
For my writing habbit, I like using both words for formal occasions. They both are considered as polite too!
I heard that although it might look more polite to use the word "kindly", it has hidden meaning (話裡有骨) actually.

I tried to find detailed discussion about this on the web but it is difficult to find the discussion.

引用:
原帖由 yl_cheng 於 2007-10-31 12:54 AM 發表

I heard that although it might look more polite to use the word "kindly", it has hidden meaning (話裡有骨) actually.

I tried to find detailed discussion about this on the web but i ...
Well, it really depends on how your sentence is like, and what it really is talking about. Therefore, kindly is still considered as polite too! As long as you are writting something with manner, meaning not trying to criticize anything.

引用:
原帖由 princess_f 於 2007-10-31 22:47 發表

Well, it really depends on how your sentence is like, and what it really is talking about. Therefore, kindly is still considered as polite too! As long as you are writting something with manner ...
I agree.  Some discussions say that it depends on the context.

However, I usually use "please" without the "kindly" for safe.

"Kindly" is usually used by institutions or companies when politely giving instructions to the public, e.g. "To ensure prompt processing of your application, kindly submit it to our offices before closing time next Wednesday".  It sounds awkward when used by an individual person.  So, unless you are writing a document on behalf of your company or organization, you should avoid "kindly".

For example, are the following sentences not so polite?
1) Please kindly submit your application ...
2) Kindly submit your application ...

of the two, 1) is a lot better

2) for seems a little more strict? not quite sure

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

"Kindly" is equivalent to "Please" in meaning.  Using either one is enough.  Using both looks funny, although examples are quite often seen in Hong Kong.

As gwaimuilover pointed out, the former sounds official and, indeed, quite out-dated.  Using "Please" is perfectly OK in both business and personal writing nowadays.
You are what you think you are.

獲益良多,你們真非凡

i don't really understad

yes, a little wonder
英雄无敌!!!

Both "kindly" and "please" can be use interchangably in the sentence.

發新話題

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,本網站對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。本討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言,同時亦有不刪除留言的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright 1997- Xocat. All Right Reserved.