推介:| 英語課程 | 職業英語 | English course | English learning | Toeic | Bulats |

發新話題
打印

Rock and Roll !??

Rock and Roll !??

Rock and Roll (Rock'n Roll) 真是某類音樂的稱乎嗎? 其來源是怎麼來的啊? 雖然我不是建築工人, 但我想Rock'n Roll 其實原本代表水泥(石屎)與鋼筋。正如某英文歌所唱:"We build this city on rock and roll..."。應該不是唱歌唱出一個城市吧!---希望有人指正。

[ 本帖最後由 Old Coin 於 2006-11-13 04:36 PM 編輯 ]

相關搜索目錄: 建築
吾式:猶/帶獅虎/乘龍/帝帝/尚弟/"經"過處"理"/A cat's man/ Joy of a man's desire/Amer/

回復 #1 Old Coin 的帖子

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll

They have a good explanation on the origin of rock and roll music.

actually the Wikipedia is a pretty good resource

The definition in Wikipedia sounds like a man looking for relatives fron now and then, but still couldn't found who is the one gave birth to him. It still doesn't tell the relationship between rock, roll and the form of music.
But why do these musicians "Rock" but don't "Roll"? I don't think I'll take the name seriously and I certainly won't try to understand such silly name.更加不會理會/認同香港人將之釋為"樂與怒".

[ 本帖最後由 Old Coin 於 2006-11-14 05:58 PM 編輯 ]
吾式:猶/帶獅虎/乘龍/帝帝/尚弟/"經"過處"理"/A cat's man/ Joy of a man's desire/Amer/

引用:
原帖由 Old Coin 於 2006-11-14 09:36 AM 發表
The definition in Wikipedia sounds like a man looking for relatives fron now and then, but still couldn't found who is the one gave birth to him. It still doesn't tell the relationship between rock ...
Why would you take the music too seriously anyway?  Just enjoy it, or even rock to it!

Also the Chinese translation is actually a transcription of the phrase "Rock & Roll", so don't worry about any mapping in meaning of the words.

i don't know!!!!!!

引用:
原帖由 Old Coin 於 2006-11-13 03:33 發表
Rock and Roll (Rock'n Roll) 真是某類音樂的稱乎嗎? 其來源是怎麼來的啊? 雖然我不是建築工人, 但我想Rock'n Roll 其實原本代表水泥(石屎)與鋼筋。正如某英文歌所唱:"We build this city on rock and roll. ...
Dear Brother Old Coin,

I hope you are still interested in this topic.

Actually, "rock and roll" did not come from building materials.  The name of the music genre came from the verb usage of the words, with "rock" meaning "move or shake", and roll meaning "turn around".  Examples:

- The mother gently rocked the cradle while her baby slept inside.
- The sea was very rough today, and the waves rocked the boat violently.
- The diplomat "rocked the boat" at the conference by suggesting that U.S. President George W. Bush should be tried for war crimes for his decision to invade Iraq.  (Figurative use of "rock", the diplomat shook up the minds of the conference attendees)

- The ball rolled down the hill.
- As soon as its master sat down, the dog rolled over on its back, hoping to receive some tummy scratching.
- The student has already finished twice the number of exercises he normally does in a day, but is still able to do more!  He is really on a roll!  (Figurative use of "roll", the student's progress was running ahead like a ball rolling downhill, without regard to whatever is in its way)

Before rock and roll, music was static and there was little movement by the singers.  Rock and roll musicians such as Elvis danced and moved around a lot, so the genre was named after movement words, specifically those that signify pushing aside existing norms - see "rock the boat" and "on a roll" above.  Indeed, Elvis was extremely controversial at his time, with many believing that he would corrupt the minds of young people then.

Soon, rock and roll music would become part of the general counter-cultural movement in the 1960's that saw many social norms being challenged.  From that, "rock and roll" became representative terms for this rebellious attitude.  To this day, the song "we will we will rock you" is still often heard at protest rallies, to show the protesters' desire to "rock" the established political authority.

In "we built this city on rock and roll" (not build), the band (Starship) dismisses the existing socio-economic structure, saying that what matters is their counter-cultural attitude.  Their segment of society, i.e. their "city", is based on rock and roll and nothing else.

相關搜索目錄: Dog 建築

Thank you gwaimuilover for clearing up my mind.

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

What a wise person gwaimuilover is!

Don't get too serious with the literal meanings.

I've got the same question...

發新話題

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,本網站對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。本討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言,同時亦有不刪除留言的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright 1997- Xocat. All Right Reserved.