:what are you doing now??:

我地阿sir話,,,
  d外國人唔中意人地問佢:
what  are you doing <<架喎..

佢話.d外國人會覺得好impolite 架喎,

係咪ga!?!??; 

it depends on the context...

what are you doing now (what is your current job) is OK

what are you doing now (challenge or question if someone is not doing things right) is not very well received usually

what are you doing now (what activity are you currently engaged in) is OK

Usually I'd say it's OK.

=o=’ 唔係好明’
         可唔可以用chinese explain下.>o<’ 

what are you doing?此句子應該唔係問你做乜工作或者做緊乜洁C 白話囓i解作 '你做乜呀?' 或 '你想點?'。 即係向做錯洈漱H講的, 試問有人咁問你,即係你做錯洁A你都會覺得有d被冒犯(offended)感覺,故所以最好唔用,唔夠禮貌。

如果問人有冇做(工作),可以問 'are you engaged in any profession'?

如果外國人係做緊蠵洁A通常唔會好像中國人直斥其非,而係可以婉轉灠楟\  'can i help you?' 或 'can i give you a hand?',外國人都可以意會到的。

actually, what our international friend meant hear is that the kind of the intonation used in expressing this sentence is not polite, and there is a better way to show the speaker's way of greeting the friend.
the sentence "what are you doing" is spoken not in a native way, i mean the speaker do not truly understand the kind of culture perched on this line of words(it is a little Chinglish culturally speaking, similar to "Have you eaten?")--our international friends are individuality-oriented. what they are doing seems to them something personal and private and significant to them, and really has nothing to do with the speaker. culturally speaking, it is something similar to "what is your salary","how old are you""are you married", and the like.

If you are asking if someone is able to join you for coffee, then you may try to ask:

"Do you have time for coffee?"

Instead of "What are you doing now?"

It depends on the context, for example, it is normally alright to ask direct questions to good friends. "Waht are you doing tonight?  Fancy a night out?"  You can phrase this slightly differently:

"If you have nothing on tonight, would you mind joining us for dinner?"

There is more than one way of asking a question so there is no definitive "right" answer for your question.

,,,thank you very much,,*

都明明地ge..><'
       原來有甘多meaning..ga'.><’
      你地唔講.我真係唔知.><’

I will use what up instead of what re u doing?

引用:
原帖由 young_girl 於 2006-12-6 12:54 PM 發表

我地阿sir話,,,
  d外國人唔中意人地問佢:

佢話.d外國人會覺得好impolite 架喎,

係咪ga!?!??; 
English people like to greet their friends by asking this: "How are you?"

North American people, however, would say, "How are you doing?"

If you say, "What are you doing?", they might think that they have offended you by mistake.

引用:
原帖由 young_girl 於 2006-12-6 12:54 PM 發表

我地阿sir話,,,
  d外國人唔中意人地問佢:

佢話.d外國人會覺得好impolite 架喎,

係咪ga!?!??; 
English people like to greet their friends by asking this: "How are you?"

North American people, however, would say, "How are you doing?"

If you say, "What are you doing?", they might think that they have offended you by mistake.

In Western culture, what someone is doing is considered that person’s private business, and asking about it is seen as an intrusion.  The person asking must have some cause to ask the question in order for it to be appropriate.  So, among family, friends and work colleagues it is OK to ask “what are you doing”, since it is reasonable to be interested in what a friend or family member is doing.  Young children can also ask “what are you doing” to anyone, since it is normal for children to be curious.  Among strangers, “what are you doing” becomes an indirect means to voice disapproval, or to express suspicion that the person is doing something inappropriate.  The tone of voice is usually loud and stern.  For example, if a Western woman riding on a bus discovers that a man has put his hand up her skirt, she may challenge the man by asking loudly “what are you doing”.  Or, if a shopkeeper discovers that a person is putting unpaid goods in a pocket, the shopkeeper may ask the person “what are you doing”.

Variations include “what do you think you are doing”, or even “what the XXXX are you doing”, where XXXX is a swear word.

If you are genuinely interested in what a stranger is doing, you need to explain the reason behind your interest.  For example, “excuse me sir, but I notice that you are putting paint on your face.  May I ask what are you doing?  Are you participating in the carnival?”  In this case, the person asking the question may be interested in knowing more about the carnival, or in meeting carnival participants.

Very good explanations.

W OW..

thanks...* 

引用:
原帖由 gwaimuilover 於 2006-12-24 08:46 AM 發表
In Western culture, what someone is doing is considered that person’s private business, and asking about it is seen as an intrusion.  The person asking must have some cause to ask the question in  ...
Excellent!

it's the same as have you had your lunch/dinner yet? you want to ask really when you're gonna buy him/her a meal

發新話題

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,本網站對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。本討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言,同時亦有不刪除留言的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright 1997- Xocat. All Right Reserved.