推介:| 英語課程 | 職業英語 | English course | English learning | Toeic | Bulats |

發新話題
打印

Gramma is important

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and have been following your frankly discussions with great joy.

For some reasons, I have got the feelings that a lot of people in Hong Kong reject the use of English simply for convenience reason.

My experience in mastering a foreign language is that one has to think the language and incorporate it in his / her daily life.  One has to practise it if he/she really wishes to improve the proficiency of the language.

The other day, I was discussing with a friend from Hawaii about speaking English.  We shared the views that everywhere people speak with an accent and one's command of English should not be judged on the basis of his accent.  Yet, what makes Chinese speaking people difficult to speak fluent English is that the Chinese and English languages belong to two distinctive linguistic tribes and that processing of the two languages is likely to overtax the speakers' fluency, resulting in sharp punctuations among words as our brains are accustomed to learn and speak Chinese from the very beginning of our life.  I suppose the same problem of fluency applies to many non-native English speakers, particularly people in Asia whose languages are spoken in a way so much different from the languages in Europe.

There is no way and no need to correct one's accent as I consider it a reflection of the cultural background of the speaker.  With respect to the matter of fluency, I would like to make the following suggestions and hope that they are of any help to those who encounter tremendous problems in speaking English:

- do not feel panic, speak slowly and try to maintain the flow;
- think English before and during the speech : allow a few seconds to think of the key words / idea in English before you start a sentence.  Your thoughts should always be ahead of your speech;
- waltzing with your words in a flow, do not make a sudden stop as this is quite often when speaking Chinese;
- listen to how native English speakers make presentation and see what you can learn from them; and, last but not the least,
- practise it as much as possible.

Do not feel embarrassed when you make mistakes.  Everybody makes mistakes.  I make a lot of grammatical mistakes too.

Luar

[ 本帖最後由 Luar 於 2006-8-31 04:30 PM 編輯 ]

發新話題

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,本網站對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。本討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言,同時亦有不刪除留言的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright 1997- Xocat. All Right Reserved.