引用:
原帖由 大田英明 於 2006-9-22 08:04 發表
Friday, September 22, 2006

UNITED NATIONS MANDATES
Big talk, little commitment

ANNE-MARIE SLAUGHTER

Prev. Story | Next Story

----------------------------------------------

... The real issue is a yawning gap between paper and practice. In the heat of an international crisis, the security council passes resolutions to great public fanfare, establishing an official UN "mandate". But then the secretary-general is left, resolution in hand, to ask member states for the actual, tangible resources necessary to implement the action that has been commanded. In the overwhelming majority of cases, those resources fall far short of what is required to successfully intervene in a crisis ...
[可憐家嫂冇炊 !]

Thanks a lot, Brother 大田英明 ...  

I've been asked who writes for Mr. Bush's speeches. Do you have any information on this matter. ?  

Looking forward to viewing your article for this week ...
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

Thank you Brother 大田英明,

It is indeed a serious problem to many families in HK. I just hope that there will be a solution to it in the near future ....
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

引用:
原帖由 oldfella 於 2006-9-27 18:53 發表
You certainly deserve a round of applause for all the effort !
Agree  ......

Bravo, Brother 大田英明 !!!!!!!  
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

A chance for Japan to change with the times

引用:
原帖由 大田英明 於 2006-9-28 08:06 發表
Thursday, September 28, 2006

EDITORIAL/LEADER
A chance for Japan to change with the times

Prev. Story | Next Story

. . . . . . . . . .

Mr Abe has also made replacing the pacifist constitution his goal. He envisages the document will lead the country away from what he terms a "post-war regime" and guide the nation's future.

Mr Koizumi broke the mould of Japanese leaders. With Mr Abe and his team representing a younger, more energetic breed of politician, an opportunity exists for Japan to change with the times
History always repeats itself. What happened to Mr Koizumi will highly probable to guide Mr. Abe's path soon. Those pulling the string remain the same group of old men behind the scene .....
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

US INTELLIGENCE REPORT

It’s hard to think of a president and an administration ever in the American history more devoted to secrecy than President Bush and his team. If not when it suits Mr. Bush and the Republican camp politically, it is difficult to believe that the public will ever be given a glimpse of those secrets.

But the three declassified pages from what is certainly a voluminous report did not tell us anything more than what any American with a newspaper, television or Internet connection should have already known. The invasion of Iraq was a catastrophic disaster. The current situation will get worse if American forces leave. However, the crucial issue of a suggestion about how to avoid that inevitable disaster was neither provided in the report nor by the president.

But one of the key findings of the National Intelligence Estimate, which represents the consensus of the 16 intelligence agencies, was quite clear that the war in Iraq has greatly increased the threat from terrorism by “shaping a new generation of terrorist leaders and operatives.”

It listed the war in Iraq as the second most important factor in the spread of terrorism — after “entrenched grievances such as corruption, injustice and fear of Western domination.” And that was before April, when the report was completed. Since then, things have got much worse.

But then why the Bush Administration decided to share this piece of information with his U.S. citizens ?

The New York Times claimed as follows : Mr. Bush decided to release this small, selected chunk of the report in reaction to an article on the intelligence assessment that appeared in The Times over the weekend. As a defense of his policies, it serves only to highlight the maddening circular logic that passes for a White House rationale. It goes like this: The invasion of Iraq has created an entire new army of terrorists who will be emboldened by an American withdrawal. Therefore, the United States has to stay indefinitely and keep fighting those terrorists.

By that logic, the more the United States fights, the longer the war stretches on.

Disclosure of the classified report, and Bush's subsequent move to make public portions of it, has had broad political ramifications. The escalating debate over national security reflects the belief among strategists in both parties that the terrorism issue works to their benefit. The question is how voters will interpret each side's arguments.

For Republicans, the report provides more evidence that Iraq is central to the war on terrorism and can't be abandoned without giving jihadists a crucial victory. Republicans have also sought to portray Democrats as inadequate to the job of protecting the nation, pursuing an election-year strategy of trying to mobilize conservative voters in key districts by arguing that Democrats would "cut and run" from Iraq and thus embolden terrorists.

And for Democrats, it furthers their argument that the 2003 Iraq invasion has inflamed anti-U.S. sentiments in the Muslim world and left the U.S. less safe. Democrats, citing shrinking public support for Bush and the Iraq war in some recent polls, have tried to portray the administration as incompetent.   

On the other hand, this incidence also brought out the wisdom of Mr. Rumsfield and his art of debating over this issue in his following remarks :

(Rumsfeld did not specifically criticize or address the controversial intelligence report, but instead commented more broadly about the terrorist question that has gripped the political world since the report was disclosed last week.

"Are more terrorists being created in the world? We don't know. The world doesn't know," said Rumsfeld, adding that there are no good ways to measure "The world doesn't know. There aren't good ways to measure how many terrorists are being trained at camps around the world.") …….

(Rumsfeld said any specific comments on the report should come from Bush. But he added that while it's hard to know how many terrorist are being created, officials have a better idea how many have been killed or captured.)
……

There was offered a split-screen debate between each party's most influential leader this week with Clinton's appearance Sunday and Bush's news conference Tuesday.

Clinton accused Bush of spending billions of dollars in Iraq while losing focus on capturing Bin Laden in or near Afghanistan. "If I were still president, we'd have more than 20,000 troops there trying to kill him."

Clinton also criticised Bush's broader agenda of promoting democracy overseas, in particular, in Middle East, subtly contesting the president's frequent argument that free elections in Iraq and Afghanistan were signs of progress.  "Democracy is about way more than majority rule," "Democracy is about minority rights, individual rights, restraints on power."

Bush on Tuesday declined to respond directly to Clinton's comments even though "I've watched all this finger-pointing and naming of names, and all that stuff," Bush said. "Our objective is to secure the country…. So I'm not going to comment on other comments."

If we look at what happened in Taiwan and Thailand recently, we must admit that Bush-style of democracy has proved to be successful on the voting day of presidential election in these two S.E. Asian countries but unfortunately short-lived. It has failed in Thailand. What will happen in Taiwan remains to be seen. But from what happened in Iraq, we can foretell that the current Taiwan political turmoil will simply drag on and on and on ..............

[ 本帖最後由 taurus 於 2006-9-29 06:26 PM 編輯 ]
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

引用:
原帖由 oldfella 於 2006-10-3 18:14 發表
"Democracy is about way more than majority rule," "Democracy is about minority rights, individual rights, restraints on power."

Certainly some food for thought !
Certainly some food for thought and our stomach as well !  

Presently reading Larry Diamond's past papers, try to extact one of these which will be applicable to HK .....
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

Re : Working smarter, not harder, the way forward

As far as I remember, five work-day week started in China in 2000. Good for our fellow comrades ...
I'm a pipe-smoker ...

發新話題

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,本網站對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。本討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言,同時亦有不刪除留言的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

Copyright 1997- Xocat. All Right Reserved.